-->

lørdag den 2. januar 2010

Australian Lovelies: Strange Planet



I had a wonderful, yet hungover time yesterday watching "Queer as folk 2" (UK), "Strange Planet" and "Sliding Doors" (we love John Hannah!).
Strange Planet (1999) has been forgotten, rather unfairly I think, and thus it is time to mention this incredibly sweet film. It is directed by Emma-Kate Croghan, whom I do not know anything about, since I am not very geeky upon the subject of Australian pop-culture... yet.
It is a story about three women and three men and their many, many problems with their respective lovelives. The film begins and ends at new years which made it very appropriate for watching yesterday.
I feel that this film is a bit more complex than other romantic dramas or comedies. I am not saying that this is an artsy film though, it just has a different and interesting twist/quality to it, and it does not cease to be realistic (in contrast with other romantic comedies way of glorifying single and/or married life).
It is one of my favourite movies because it is hopeful and has possibly the tackiest ending in the world. Lovely.
Starring in this film are three very beautiful ladies; Claudia Karvan, Alice Garner (I love love love her!) and Naomi Watts.
Unfortunately what happened to the "Ghost World" movie cover has happened to Strange Planet as well - Naomi Watts, who is not the main character, but merely one of 6 main characters, has been placed in focus because of her popularity in Hollywood. I hate that, I really do, although placing Scarlett Johanson in the front of the "Ghost World" cover is more of a crime than the Naomi Watts stunt.
That aside, this is a lovely film for the gigglish, and also for those hopeful romantics, and as seen above, I found the proper cover.
Incidentally this film has some rather quirky film-references that are worth noticing. De Niro in "Taxi Driver" is not only mentioned but also impersonated by one of the male characters, and scenes from the 1959 series "The Twilight Zone" are used for the purpose of making a point about life and fate and that sort of thing.
Lovely film.

- Andrae

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar